Why is Earth the only planet that has life?
The earth’s atmosphere is unique and consists of land, water, and air. These three domains interact and overlap, making the surface of the earth a complex zone. They form the Biosphere of the earth where life exists.
Let’s learn more about the earth’s Biosphere.
The earth’s surface has two components: continents and ocean basins. All oceans are connected and hence, the sea level is the same all over the earth. However, the continents look separated from each other.
Since the sea water level is the same all over the earth, it is taken as zero when measuring the elevation of the land. The height of any land surface is mentioned in comparison to sea level. For example, the height of mountains is at least 1000 meters above sea level.
It has 7 continents:
The earth is covered 71% by water, giving it the name “The Blue Planet”. The water in oceans, rivers, glaciers, lakes, ponds, and even the underground water and water vapour makes the hydrosphere.
More than 97% of the total water is in oceans but is unfit for human use. The remaining 3% of water includes ice and freshwater sources.
It has 5 oceans:
The earth is surrounded by a layer of gasses that gives us the air that we breathe and protects us from the sun’s harmful rays. This layer is called the Atmosphere.
The atmosphere has several layers starting from the earth’s surface and depending on the composition and temperature, they are called: Troposphere, Stratosphere, Mesosphere, Thermosphere, and Exosphere. Together, the total thickness of the atmosphere is about 1600 kilometres.
There are many gases in the atmosphere. However, nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%) make up the major portion of the total gas composition of the atmosphere. 1% of the total gasses include carbon-dioxide, neon, argon, etc.
So, we saw that the earth has three major domains- lithosphere, hydrosphere, and atmosphere. The lithosphere is land, the hydrosphere is water and the atmosphere is air. Together, they form the part of the earth where life exists- the biosphere.
And just like that, you have finished online revisions of the chapter- Major Domains of the Earth from your Class 6 NCERT Geography textbook. Did you find it interesting? You can find more interesting stuff to read and learn at SeekoG. On this online learning platform, you could do quick revisions within a few minutes and master a lesson in no time using online mind maps. You can also check your mastery over the topics through SeekoG Academic Diagnostic Tests and get an in-depth analysis of your performance through SeekoG Gap Analysis Reports. SeekoG 1:1 Tuitions are available where you can find the best tutors online to help strengthen the areas of the chapter in which you need improvement. These online MCQ tests also help you to prepare for various competitive exams and Olympiads at school as well as help you in CBSE board exam preparation.
Leave A Comment